Tuesday, November 20, 2007

New! Sweet Fern Pottery

Sarah Burns (sole sculptress and progressive potter of Sweet Fern Pottery) just dropped off some amazing new pieces, a blend of sculptural vessels and orbs and functional pots.

Sarah works with stoneware fired in a gas-fired soda kiln. The soda ash introduced into the kiln reacts with the surface texture, glazes, and slips on the pieces. "The soda ash dances around the kiln and creates an irregular, unpredictable effect on each piece. The variability in airflow, temperature, and soda ash ensures that each piece is unique."

Sarah's forms are influenced by the organic, ever changing world around us. "Like nature, my work is constantly evolving. I work in incremental series. Each subsequent series builds on the concepts of the predecessor. This allows me to build on my successes and address the shortcomings. I also use this opportunity to branch off and explore new ideas."