Thursday, November 1, 2007

back from London

My recent trip to London was amazing - I especiallly enjoyed visiting some wonderful art exhibitions including: the Louise Bourgeois Retrospective at the Tate Modern, the Turner Prize Retrospective at the Tate Britain, Renaissance Siena: Art for A City at the National Gallery, Seduced: Art & Sex from Antiquity to Now at the Barbican, and Walter Sickert: The Camden Town Nudes at the Courtauld. (more about the arts in later posts!)

My mother and I also enjoyed an evening at the theatre - we saw 39 Steps at the Criterion in Piccadilly Circus. Best known as Hitchcock’s 1935 classic move thriller, the new version was performed by four actors playing multiple roles and contained every single legendary scene from the award-winning movie.



We also indulged in a traditional english dinner at the Sherlock Holmes Pub, a split level establishment with a bar on the ground floor and an intimate restaurant on the second level with authentic Victorian decor. 'The Study' of Sherlock Holmes, complete with props from the films (my personal favorites being the ones starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce), can be viewed from the restaurant.





















Here is my mom pleasantly pleased by the portion of fish 'n chips and mushy peas (a.k.a. 'The Retired Colourman's'). I couldn't resist ordering dessert - I've always been curious about the "Spotted Dick", which I now understand is a steamed pudding containing dried fruits - delicious served with custard!