Monday, February 2, 2009

tiny preview: Kim Ferreira

The installation of the Teeny Tiny Art Show has finally begun, but I thougth I would take a small break and share with you my new series of paintings done for this show...

I am currently re-reading "The Once and Future King" by T.H. White - the novel chronicles the raising and education of King Arthur, his rule as a king, and the romance between his best knight Sir Lancelot and his Queen Guinevere.

My paintings are loosely based on the fist part in which Merlyn, knowing the boy's destiny, teaches Arthur what it means to be a good king by turning him into various kinds of animals: fish, hawk, ant, owl, goose, and badger. Each of the transformations is meant to teach him a lesson, which will prepare him for his future life.

In my paintings, I have referenced vintage Alice in Wonderland illustrations in place of young Arthur, in an effort to place my younger self in the paintings...






okay, enough self-indulgence, back to the hammer and nails...remember, the Teeny Tiny Art Show opens this Friday, with an opening reception from 5-8pm. All of the work from the show will soon be available to view + purchase online in our online shop...'til then.